Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Stall tactics of a toddler

Lately, Norah has really be into stalling everything. Mostly at bed time but other times too, like when it's time to eat.

It starts most nights when it's time to go to bed. We let her pick a show (which sometimes can take forever) then we change her diaper and get ready to take her medicine. This is where the stalling usually starts. She HATES her medicine. I can't blame her. It looks toxic and even though we get it flavored grape I'm sure it still doesn't taste all the great. First it's: I no take my medcine night. Then it's: I wanna sit in mommy's lap. Ok so she sits in my lap. Then it's: I wanna sit in daddy's lap. So we switch. Then no I do it MYSELF! Really child? Just pick a spot to sit. Once we get her to sit then it's all with the flailing of the hands in front of her face blocking the medicine dropper. Ugh!

Once that ordeal is over with we watch a show. Most nights we automatically give her a snack while she watches a show. But on nights when we have a late dinner we usually skip giving her a snack unless she asks. Well on those nights she waits until her show is over and THEN asks for a snack. Really? You couldn't ask before now?

Then it's the teeth. First she wants the toothpaste. Then she doesn't. Then she wants to stand. Then she doesn't. Then it's a another 5 minutes standing there telling her to stop messing around and just brush. I know she's a baby and can't really brush but she won't even chew on the toothbrush. It's so frustrating. My SIL is a hygienist and she says that Norah doesn't need toothpaste. But her breath is so RANK in the morning we're trying to help that a little. Any suggestions on keeping baby's breath fresh please let me know.

After we get through the teeth it's time to put her down. She likes us each to sing her Twinkle Twinkle. then we jointly sing her You are my Sunshine. But this all takes another 10 minutes. She wants to run around and hide from us. She wants daddy to tickle her. She needs to "get the sillies out" Then she starts singing that song from Yo Gabba Gabba.

 Oy Vey! Just lay down already child! I timed it one particularly bad night and it took 30 minutes. THIRTY MINUTES! It should not take that long to put a two year old to bed. I can't keep doing this every night. Some one please send help....and wine...

No comments:

Post a Comment