Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

7 Years Ago Today

Seven years ago today I woke to a text from my future husband telling me to get out of bed and check my email. It was like 8:30 in the morning at the time and I did not feel like getting out of bed but something inside me said to do it. So I drug myself across my room to my computer to check my email. When I opened it I found an email from him telling me that today was a special day. It was our 19 month anniversary on the the 19th of the month you see.

The email told me that I was to be dressed and ready to go by 11am sharp. It told me that he was taking me somewhere but he wouldn't tell me where (and not to try asking because he knew I would). He told me that I could wear flip flops if I wanted (the man know I love me my flip flops). I started to panic. What on earth could he be talking about? I had to know! But he wouldn't budge. I rushed to take a shower and do my hair and get ready.

11 am fast approach and I was getting nervous. My roommate kept telling me he was going to propose but I kept telling them they were nuts. That was really me trying to calm myself down in case that was true.

11am on the dot he knocked on my apartment door. What? He's never been on time the entire time I had known him. This couldn't be true. But it was! We got in the car and he started driving. I tried to pry out of him where he was taking me but he wouldn't budge.

He drove all over the place. Down winding roads and past Amish farmhouses. I had NO IDEA where we were going (although that's not hard since he grew up in the area and I did not). Finally we arrived at a local industrial park. We got out of the car and he took a picnic lunch out the trunk. We walked across the street and he "randomly" picked a spot by the pond to sit. We sat and had a nice lunch by the pond. Ok I thought THIS was the surprise.

After we finished eating he gave me a gift bag. I was nervous but thought "hey this is too big to be a ring." I opened the bag and found a little photo album with a post-it note on the front. The note told me not to skip ahead and to just go in order. OOOOOKKKKKKKKK. I started looking through the book and there were pictures of us. Pictures of the cats we were planning to adopt in just a few short weeks. Then there were pictures of things that were around us. The weird statue thing behind us. The pond in front of us.Then there were pictures of letters from random signs. Like an "L" from the Lowe's sign (that is where I worked in college). It started W I L L. (OMG OMG OMG!) The letters spelled "Will you marry" and then there was a picture of him holding a sign that said "this guy?"

OMG this is happening! I looked over at him like "are you for real?" He grabbed the bag of chips and dumped it all over the blanket and out fell a plastic baggie with a ring box in it. He got down on his knee and asked me to marry him. OMG YES! I said YES!

The rest is kinda history now but I like to remember that day every year on April 19th. The day my life changed.

Happy Engagement Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment