Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

I'm running

A little over a week ago I decided I wanted to start running. Sort of random but it's something I've always wanted to do (weird I know). I've been unhappy with my health so and trying a bunch of diets was getting really old. I don't really last long on any diet. So I thought if I could work out some maybe that would help me start to feel better.

So I downloaded a couple of different apps on my iPhone and hit the local sporting store for a pair of running shoes. They guy was really nice and helped me pick out pair of shoes based on the way I walk. They aren't the most attractive pair of shoes but they get the job done.

I got up early the next day to run. Well I used an app that just tracks where I'm going, the time and distance. I hit the ground running. Literally. I maybe ran for a good 4 or 5 minutes (probably not that long but that's what I'm saying) before I thought I would slow down and walk for a bit. Well that little break turned into mostly walking the entire time I was out. Since I had nothing saying "you need to run now" I just walked most of it. I still did a pretty decent time of like 16ish minutes per mile.

I decided that maybe I should try the other app I got. Couch-to-5K. This worked much better. I liked that there is a walk to warm up and cool down and then alternating walking and running. I officially completed the first week of that yesterday. My times went up and down from 15ish minutes up to 17 minutes back down to 15 minutes per mile. So I'm getting there. I was REALLY tired on the second day.

I've tried several different routes. I think the one I did yesterday I might try again. That gets me the closest to 2 miles in about 30 minutes.

What kills me is the time I have to work out. Because of my work schedule and wanting to spend time with my family in the evenings I have to get up early to run. I get up at 5am on days where I have to go to work and 6am on one weekend day. That way I can be home and showered before work. That's kind of a big adjustment for me. I've always been a night showerer and now I'm doing it in the morning. I feel like I have to always shower in the morning now even if I'm not working out.

I'm more tired on days I get up to run and by about 2pm I'm struggling to keep my eyes open at work. But I think it will get better over time. I'm just really proud of myself for doing this. I've always tried dieting and working out and it never really lasts. I'm really committed to making this last this time. I really want to feel better physically and I think that with time this will help.

So wish me luck. Gotta get up tomorrow for a run at 5am! Week 2 day 1. Only 8 more weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment